The illegal occupants of the property had no electricity and were using candles for illumination
Two people died and two more were injured in a fire which occurred on New Year’s Eve in Torrevieja.
The deceased were illegally occupying the house which had no electricity supply and were using candles for illumination.
Both of the deceased were aged around 50 and are believed to have been Eastern Europeans; the other two occupants of the house were treated for minor injuries by emergency services and were also eastern Europeans. One was transferred to the Hospital Universitario de Torrevieja suffering from shock.
The fire began around 2am in the ground floor of the three storey building and was finally declared extinguished at just after 04:20am.
The fire occurred in the Urbanisation Torreta II in the Torrevieja municipality of the Alicante Province.